Bungay Urban District Council was established in 1910, with the Chairman in that year being a Mr F Woods.
Bungay Town Council, which is the present administration, was established in 1973, following changes in the structure of local government in England and Wales which abolished Bungay Urban District Council and split its functions between the Town Council and the then Waveney District Council.
Under these changes, Town and Parish Councils (collectively referred to as local councils) have the same powers.
The last Chairman of the Town Council was David Jermy in 1996. From 1997 whoever is elected by the Town Council to lead it for the year also assumes the title of Bungay Town Mayor. The first elected Mayor was Bungay Madeleine Parr.
BUNGAY TOWN COUNCIL MEMBERS (COUNCILLORS)
Currently Bungay Town Council has 15 elected Members (also called Councillors) all of whom are elected on a 4 year cycle.
If a vacancy occurs between the fixed election dates, it is filled either by a by-election if the required number of electors request one, or co-option, if this is not the case. In both cases the new Member will serve for the balance of the 4 year term.
The Council is led by the Town Mayor, who is supported by a Deputy Mayor, both elected annually by their fellow Councillors. The Mayor and his/her deputy serve a one year term, but can be re-elected, with the Deputy Town Mayor usually elected as Mayor the following year.
The Mayor of Bungay wears an engraved silver chain of office consisting of a medallion and engraved silver plates with the names of previous holders of the office. The Mayor is Civic Head of Bungay.
The Town Clerk is responsible for carrying out the all the executive functions of the Council. The Clerk is also designated the Proper Officer and Responsible Financial Officer for the purpose of he legislation which governs Town and Parish Councils.